After a split opening weekend in Los Angeles against No. 1 Northwestern and Southern California, the No. 14 UMass women's lacrosse team returns to action this Saturday against Long Island in McGuirk Stadium (1 PM). The game will be televised in Western Massachusetts on CBS3 Now (Comcast 293, Charter 290) and available online through UMass All-Access.
Katie Ferris Continues To Climb On Career Charts
• Junior attack Katie Ferris continues to climb in the women's lacrosse all-time career record book. After at 10 point weekend (six goals, four assists), the native of Carthage, N.Y., is now tied for 5th all-time in career points (180), 6th in career goals (121) and 4th in career assists (59).
• Ferris needs three points to claim fourth place for career points and five for career goals - passing Sue Murphy on each list. She is 26 assists away from Jeanne Hackett who is third with 75.
• Last season Ferris set the UMass single-season record for points (98), goals (59) and assists (39). Her 98 points was also a new Atlantic 10 record breaking Jami Wilus' record of 94 set in 2001 - Wilus is the sister of former UMass men's lacrosse player Mike.
2012 Was A Record Setting Year For Offense
• The 2012 campaign was record-setting for UMass's vaunted offensive attack. The Minutewomen broke all three of its major offensive records in points goals and assists.
• The Minutewomen shattered the previous points record of 388 set in 2011 with a whopping 491 in 2012. UMass also broke the longest standing record in program history of 129 assists set in 1978 with 159 last year.
• With 332 goals, UMass also broke the single-season goals record which it previously had set in 2011 (293). The 293 goals had bested the previous record by 83 goals - 210 scored during the 2009 season.
• Prior to the 2011 season's record total of 388 points, the previous record was 308 set back in 1978 - one of the oldest team records to be broken.
• UMass' 17 goals scored in the A-10 Semifinal last year against George Washington is tied as a new league record (Richmond also scored 17 in its semifinal win over Duquesne). UMass holds the league record for goals in a championship weekend with 32 combined goals in the 2011 championship run.
UMass Top Offensive Scoring Team In NCAA In 2012
• UMass was the top point producing team in the country and fifth-ranked goal scoring team last season. The Minutewomen also ranked 5th in the country in goals scored (332) and while ranking first in assists (156).
• UMass' 491 points tied the 2011 Maryland squad for the sixth-most in NCAA history.
• UMass' 332 goals in 2012 is the 14th-best single-season mark in NCAA history.
• UMass' 159 assists ranks as the 7th most in a single season in NCAA history.
• Outside of scoring, UMass also had a historic year in the draw control circle. The Minutewomen's 357 draw controls in 2012 ranked 3rd-most in NCAA history. The record is held by Northwestern (389, 2009).
UMass Posts 2nd Most Wins In NCAA
• UMass' 19 wins last year was the second most in the NCAA just behind national champion Northwestern which posted 21. The Minutewomen were tied with Florida, Syracuse and Maryland.
Top 10 RPI For UMass
• UMass finished 2012 with a No. 6 RPI according to the final NCAA report making it the highest ranked A-10 team.
UMass Building Upon A-10 Success
• UMass is 29-6 in the Atlantic 10 over the last fours seasons which includes four A-10 Tournament Titles (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012), three regular-season title (2009, 2011, 2012) and one tournament runner-up finish (2008). • Since the loss against La Salle to end the 2010 regular season, UMass has won 20 consecutive games against A-10 teams. • In addition to the past four straight A-10 Titles, UMass also won the A-10 title in 2000. • All-time, UMass is 64-29 (.633) in the Atlantic 10 and 12-7 (.533) in the A-10 Tournament. UMass has the 2nd most regular-season wins behind Temple (70).
• UMass is in its seventh year playing at McGuirk Alumni Stadium and is 31-16 all-time at the facility. Over the last two seasons, UMass is 18-2 at home including 11-0 last year.
• UMass is not scheduled to play any games this spring at Garber Field which is the home of the men's lacrosse team and the field hockey team. The women's lacrosse team previously played there until 2007.
• Fans will see one of the most dramatic upgrades to the stadium facility happen this spring as a new UMass Football Training Facility and Press Box will begin construction. Both projects are slated to be completed in prior to Fall 2014.
CBS3 Now To Televise Select Home Women's Lax Games
• UMass athletics is pleased to announce that select women's lacrosse games will be televised live in Western Massachusetts on CBS3 Now which can be viewed on Comcast 293 and Charter 230. The games are part of a 50-game package of all UMass sports which are shown on the CBS digital channel.
• Can't make a home game? Have friends and family back home who want to keep up with the Minutewomen? Sign up for the UMass All-Access Package and you can watch every home game live on the Internet. Along with live games, fans can check out interviews with the coaches and players, news highlights, and feature stories on the team.
Sign Up For The Lacrosse E-mail List
• Want to get all the latest information on the women's lacrosse team delivered straight to your E-Mail Inbox? Sign up for the UMass Women's Lacrosse E-Mail List and you will received game previews, recaps and feature stories delivered straight to you. To sign up, send an e-mail with the subject line "Sign Up For Women's Lacrosse E-Mail List" to [email protected].